Saturday, April 3, 2010

It’s that time of year again.

Ueno Hanami 001Ueno Hanami 003上野公園 

I like cherry blossoms, and spending quality time with friends, but I don’t like:

  • the crowds
  • sitting on cold asphalt for… hours.
  • not wearing shoes on the cold blue tarp sitting on cold asphalt.
  • the immense amounts of garbage.
  • the creepy people that stalk me around Ueno park… telling me they just want to practice their English and “make friends” (pshhh yeah right).

In any case, I prefer to enjoy the trees on my own terms.

The best Hanami I’ve ever been to? It’s a tie between walking the Tetsugaku no Michi (哲学の道) and Yozakura at Kiyomizudera (清水寺夜桜).

JAPAN2 144 哲学の道JAPAN2 176 清水寺夜桜

Well, and then there was that first-ever hanami I went to in Osaka-jo Koen… it was cold, the trees weren’t totally in bloom, we stole a tarp from some people that hadn’t arrived yet, and we met a homeless fellow who thought he was God. He said I was going to go to Buddhist heaven. At least he was nice and not that creepy!

JAPAN2 007 大阪城公園

Call me a curmudgeon if you must, but maybe I’m just over traditional-style hanami.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I screen my comments... but only for safety! If it doesn't show up right away, check back again later! Also, please don't forget to choose an identity (Google ID, Open ID...etc.) to comment as. Thanks!